Re: address@hidden: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP input key behaviour design quest

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: address@hidden: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP input key behaviour design question]
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:36:16 +0100

Richard,

I understand you have a coherent vision. I also understand and
appreciate the vision itself. No need to re-iterate it. But
since it is going to be implemented step by step it would be
helpful if I could sometimes get a simple answer for a simple
question. If *all* those answers are "no, those suggestions are
crap, we need other behaviour" - well, so be it, my problem.
I'll then frame the question better. Anyways, what I gather:

> I guess by cursor down you mean the down arrow key.
Yes.

> I personally beleive this should not be used to navigate between SOAP lines
> or
> from soap lines to buttons
OK, fine. I happen to not like that but, hey, I'll do as you say.

> 2)The down/up arrow keys are used by our popup lists to navigate up and down
> the popup lists
OK, fine.

> hitting the down arrow key on the 'Prescribed For' line, popups up a listing
> of the way you use this drug, ordered by frequency (see second png)
OK, fine. However, this pertains to the *edit area* and not
the soap input field (unless you think that is the same
thing and should display the same behaviour). My question was
about the soap input field (eg. the STC stuff). The main
difference between the two is that in a "prescribed for" line
of an edit area one will only ever have one single line of
input while in a soap STC one will likely have several lines.

> the act of hitting the down arrow key both pops up the list, and moves the
> cursor to the second most commonly used reason for prescription
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                A very subtle yet very important point.
However, not relevant to the soap input widget. Again, unless
you think ... (see below).

> And so it is in virtually any editing area (aka SOAP) control.
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                            I don't understand that "aka".

OK, here goes:

Do you think that hitting Down-Arrow in the multiline *SOAP
input field* should popup a list (the list content will be in
context with the term currently at the cursor position) ? This
would mean that the Down-Arrow key would NOT be used to move to
the same column of the next line *inside* the current STC field
(remember that STC fields can have several lines while edit
area input fields are not supposed to). This would imply that
we have no way of scrolling downwards inside the current STC
field except by scrolling sideways thereby wrapping to the
beginning of the next line (and mousing, of course).

Is this what you want ?