Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: gui for Wizard Type Installer

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: gui for Wizard Type Installer
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:10:17 +0100

> I think there's a mis-understanding here. My problem with the installer
> isn't that it's too difficult to operate (it's not), but that it's just plain
> annoying to use,
I understand.

> for no good reason.
That isn't really true.

> My gripes specifically are:
>       - errors buried away in the logfile
a) where else would we want to put them ?
b) how would you separate "real" errors from things that
   PostgreSQL reports as "errors" ? Patches welcome.

>       - password and "yes" four times
Well, if you run the same tool four times you need to
interact with it four times. There IS an option to switch off
user interaction. One CAN store the password in the config
files.

It *might* be an idea to invent a way to tell the bootstrapper
to simply act on several conf files in a given order.

>       - doesn't stop when there's an error, error message scrolls away and is
> often missed
I am not sure I agree here. If there's a fatal error it will
simply stop bootstrapping right away.

>       - have to press ^C three times to quit.
That can only be solved to stripping away layers of
indirection: shell calling Python calling Python connecting to
database.

> This makes it *artifically* appear more difficult than it really is.
This is true, in any case.