[Gnumed-devel] Fwd: Re: [GPCG_TALK] Archetypes: Medication order, risks

From: E Dodd
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: Re: [GPCG_TALK] Archetypes: Medication order, risks and goals
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 20:44:07 +1000

copied across from GPCG with some further comments from Ian Cheong. He refers
to unpublished work which may be very relevant

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:50
From: Ian Cheong <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

At 8:35 pm +1000 1/6/05, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
>On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:05, Sam Heard wrote:
>>  It is not complete and needs more work, but has many of the features of
>>  a medication order that are required in the health system. This is not a
>>  prescription (which is a set of medication orders) - all this
>>  information relates to a single order. It deals with the workflow and
>>  includes dispensing and administration.
>
>there are some concepts on this 'prescription' with which I cannot agree.
>Firstly, you have marked only the drug name as mandatory. Form, quantity and
>instructions are also mandatory, no matter how many times instructions may
> be left off by prescribers.
>Reading a selection of on-line dictionaries, courtesy of google, a
>prescription refers to one drug.
>I believe that you have *prescription form* and *prescription* confused, as
>the correct meaning for prescription is in fact
>*A written order, especially by a physician, for the preparation and
>administration of a medicine or other treatment.*
>a prescription is not a *set* of medication orders, it is a single
> medication order
>also note how the definition does include administration, and that means the
>instructions.
>
>Liz

Agree completely.

Probably better to start with the medication encoding in HL7 2.x
standard and AS4700.3 (2005 version nearly published), which further
attempts to constrain strict medication encoding of atomic data.
AS4700.3 for HL7 2.3.1 medication encoding is substantially similar
to the revised 2005 HL7 2.4 version.

Ian.
Chair, IT-014-06-04 Electronic Medical Prescription Working Group

--
Dr Ian R Cheong, BMedSc, FRACGP, GradDipCompSc, MBA(Exec)
Health Informatics Consultant, Brisbane, Australia

PRIVACY NOTE
I am happy for others to forward on email sent by me to public email lists.
Please ask my permission first if you wish to forward private email
to other parties.

I can feel for her because, although I have never been an Alaskan prostitute
dancing on the bar in a spangled dress, I still get very bored with washing
and ironing and dishwashing and cooking day after relentless day.
                -- Betty MacDonald