Re: [Gnumed-devel] (no subject)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] (no subject)
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:49:19 +0200

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 06:23:29AM +0800, Syan Tan wrote:

> >> this of course , being contingent on Karsten allowing updates
> >> to clin_root_item is special circumstances, ? a special group permission
> >>

> >It's not that I don't feel like allowing that for personal
> >reasons. It's rather that doing so is inherently unsafe in
> >PostgreSQL, eg child tables' keys WILL NOT GET UPDATED by it.
> may it's an older version of postgres ;
> I dropped the update rule on clin_root_item and did the following:

Seems you are right !  Updating a parent table strikes through
to the child. In the process I discovered, that updating the
child table does not enforce the foreign key constraints
inherited from the parent table... I knew that but forgot to
take proper account of it. Fixing in our schema, currently.