Re: [Gnumed-devel] Refresh problems on Windows

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Refresh problems on Windows
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:00:42 +0200

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:13:32PM +0200, Hilmar Berger wrote:

> > could it be that some of these problems are caused by a missing call to
> > wxPaintDC in the _on_paint_event() method in gmRegetMixin.py ? I've read
> > that
> > omitting this may cause problems particularly on Windows (see wxPython
> > docs).
This is well possible. I can't tell you how many times I
have meditated over this piece of documentation.

> ... just checked it and - surprise - this seems to do the job (at least on
> my win XP machine). I didn't see any problems with page repaints at all
> after applying the fix.
Praise be to Open Source !  :-)

For many eyes most problems are solvable.

> This is the bugfix:
> wxpython/gmRegetMixin.py:
>       #-----------------------------------------------------
>       def _on_paint_event(self, event):
>               """Repopulate UI if data is stale."""
>               dc = wx.wxPaintDC (self)
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>               if self._data_stale:
>                       self.__populate_with_data()
>
> Looks like this is not needed on WinXP but not on Linux/GTK.
It doesn't have any adverse effects on Linux/GTK. However,
it does not yet solve for me the missing real-time updating
of visible widgets. This, however, is a usability issue that
may be acceptable for 0.1, I reckon. The user-level fix is
to switch notebook tabs and back to force a refresh of the
currently visible plugin.

> I will check this in later.
> I will try to rebuild the installer, too.
Thanks.