Re: [Gnumed-devel] Project Management (Again)

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Project Management (Again)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:18:01 -0800

I have compiled some links that may be useful (below). Suggest Richard, Hilmar and anyone else interested to put together any ideas offline email me and we can pursue a thread offline. Better to do that and then come back to the group with how anything we might like to see can be made *feasible* especially recognizing the limited numbers of participants. We can shape what needs to be done (ultimately if not immediately) and then within that what is possible in the shorter term. My initial thoughts include:

Vision - visit openehr, also free software foundation? We have a bit in FAQs at gnumed.org

Values

Guiding principles - not *what* is to be done but on what basis we make decisions. There may be competition among the reasons. Recognizing this and visiting the list when we feel conflicted permits thoughtful deliberate choices.

Prioritization principles

Requirements

Management "pieces" - what is to be "managed"? There is the roadmap (which should be guided by all I mentioned above), there is the need to align and keep consistent the pieces in the roadmap including gui consistency in visual context, keybindings etc. But there are more things outside and around the software to be managed.

TASKey® TEAM - Turning Vision Into Reality
        http://www.taskey.com/Doing.htm

STSC CrossTalk - What Is Agile Software Development? - Oct 2002
        http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/2002/10/highsmith.html

Overcoming Requirements Modeling Challenges
        http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/requirementsChallenges.htm

Estimating software requirements (among other topics)
        http://www.rgalen.com/presentations.htm

Roadblocks and Speeding your software to Market
        http://www.grapecity.com/us/pdf/whitepaper_us.pdf

10KeysToSuccess.pdf
        http://www.issre2001.org/10KeysToSuccess.pdf

e-Course: Project Management Best Practices $295
        http://www.processimpact.com/PMBP/

Course description Delivering Results Through Project Management
        http://www.processrenewal.com/courses/sdpm98.html

Integrating Usability Techniques into Software Development ($) article

http://csdl2.computer.org/persagen/DLAbsToc.jsp?resourcePath=/dl/mags/so/&toc=comp/mags/so/2001/01/s1toc.xml&DOI=10.1109/52.903166

PM community (basic membership free)
        http://www.gantthead.com/loginMain.cfm?action=login

Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders - $31.49
        http://www.awprofessional.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0321268776&rl=1