[Gnumed-devel] Postgres: which one (or many) under Debian, to install or

From: J Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres: which one (or many) under Debian, to install or upgrade
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:50:35 -0800

Under Debian Sarge, the command

apt-cache policy postgresql

gives me

postgresql:
  Installed: 7.4.5-3
  Candidate: 7.4.7-6sarge1
  Version Table:
     7.4.7-6sarge1 0
        500 http://debian.savoirfairelinux.net sarge/main Packages
 *** 7.4.5-3 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

So:

1. if I run apt-get update, will 7.4.7-6sarge1 replace my existing postgres, and can I do that regardless of whether GNUmed has been loaded, and the gnumed bootstrap done (I have not yet done these other things, I am just asking now, instead of later).

2. running apt-cache pkgnames postgres gave the following, additional available packages.
I know I don't need all of them, but are any required or recommended if I aim to run GNUmed on my server?

postgres95
postgres95-dev
postgresql-autodoc
postgresql-client