Re: [Gnumed-devel] Wiki is back

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Wiki is back
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 21:43:20 +0100

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 21:23, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 08:49:36PM +0100, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:
> > > I am thinking of the important links from the home page of
> > > gnumed.org, which are currently broken.
> >
> > I am aware of that. That's due to salaam.homeunix.com eing a dyndns
> > entry. My apache has not *yet* been configured to redirect requests to
> > the salaam to twiki.gnotary.de. It propably isn't  even possible.
>
> I highly doubt that.
>
> > Smartest thing would be to convert all references to salaam.homeunix.com
> > into twiki.gnotary.de.
>
> Certainly not. It'd be short-sighted. Salaam.homeunix.com
> can be pointed at whatever without needing to transfer a
> domain.
It can be pointed to any ip but it needs to be pointed to a hostname instead.
unless you teach me how to tell an apache to figure out which vhost to use.

This situation is in no way special. If you don't own a root server but a
virtual private server at any service provider you get exactly the same
situation.

> > Unless you can teach salaam.homeunix.co to redirect to twiki.gnotary.de
> > or teach me how to tell my apache to forward an unspecific dns call to a
> > specific subdomain. The root of the problem is that salaam redirects to
> > the ip of my server and that connects it to the default vhost.
>
> Shall we attach salaam to another IP ? Or shall we put
> another redirect inbetween ?
vhost = multiple domains on one ip. DNS records know that but
dynip-ip mapping does not work. Because you bypass dns.

There is nothing you can do. I have two choices. Tell my default apache vhost
to *be* a redirect for twiki.gnotary.de or put a page there which tells the
user about the redirect. Why would you want to point a dyndns at a real dns
entry anyway? I can redirect  twiki.gnotary.de to any IP I want in a few
minutes. This is totally independent of the server or hoster.  So in a way
twiki.gnotary is exactly salaam. DNS == DynDNS in my case.

Not *yet* so for gnumed.de. Because this domain is registered on a server
where DNS != DynDNS. Because of that I wnat to transfer gnumed.de to the
other place. From then on DNS == DynDNS for gnotary.de

Never say never but right now I don't have time to figure out how to teach
salaam to redirect to the correct vhost nor teach the vhost to figure out
that the call comes from salaam.homeunix.com instead of its (dynamic) ip.

And no I will not reconfigure apache to *not* use vhosts. Because that is the
right thing.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany