Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres: which one (or many) under Debian, to i

From: Syan Tan
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres: which one (or many) under Debian, to install or upgrade
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 06:45:18 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Syan Tan
To: Karsten Hilbert
Sent: Wed Dec 7 6:18
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres: which one (or many) under Debian,
to install or upgrade

what's used from contrib?

When people say , "it's in the wiki", please post a hyperlink.

On Tue Dec 6 12:41 , Karsten Hilbert sent:

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 12:50:35AM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> Under Debian Sarge, the command
>
> apt-cache policy postgresql
>
> gives me
>
> postgresql:
> Installed: 7.4.5-3
> Candidate: 7.4.7-6sarge1
> Version Table:
> 7.4.7-6sarge1 0
> 500 http://debian.savoirfairelinux.net sarge/main Packages
> *** 7.4.5-3 0
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> So:
>
> 1. if I run apt-get update, will 7.4.7-6sarge1 replace my existing
> postgres,
yes

> and can I do that regardless of whether GNUmed has been
> loaded, and the gnumed bootstrap done
yes

For one thing going from 7.x.y to 7.x.z is supposed not to
require a dump/restore cycle by the PostgreSQL folks
already. And if it DID require that for some obscure reason
there would be a BIG FAT WARNING prior to any damage being
done by the folks on the *Debian* side, too. So, two
safeguards.

> 2. running apt-cache pkgnames postgres gave the following, additional
> available packages.
> I know I don't need all of them, but are any required or recommended
> if I aim to run GNUmed on my server?

> postgresql-autodoc
only if you want to *create* docs as we do in the wiki

> postgresql-client
yes

> postgresql-contrib
yes

> postgresql-doc
well, useful

E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD 4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346