[Gnumed-devel] Vision and implications: Strategic planning

From: J Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Vision and implications: Strategic planning
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:37:10 -0800

**************************************
If people wish to reply with a related but separate issue, suggest (per Richard) they change the thread to
        Vision and implications: <something else>
**************************************

I am thinking that the subtopic "design principles" might await being informed by Hilmar's upcoming "specs". But "specs" and the software engineering design pointed to by Daniel will be better to fit inside a strategic plan. Therefore this thread.

Pending adjustments, the vision *may* be

an affordable, reliable, comprehensive, interoperable, scalable software solution for paperless medical practice with emphasis on privacy protection, secure patient-centric record sharing, decision support and ease of use.

So what pieces are needed for a strategic plan? Perhaps

- decide more-specifically what we want to achieve
   ... maybe called goal-setting

- decide how we want to achieve it
   ... there is both "tactical" and "strategic"
   ... "tactical" is what we do because it has short-term value even if it is later discarded
   ... "strategic" is consistent with, and builds toward, a design that is *not* to be discarded, so this piece is very important, meaning to identify what is needed to be successful in the longer term

- I am thinking we also want "planning principles". Things like planning in cycles. Not just "software development" cycles but other cycles, too. Planning cycles. Advocacy / advertising cycles. User uptake cycles. Deciding how "big" to make any one cycle. Figuring out how much time and energy will be required for a cycle, and whether and how it is needed to recruit extra help for a cycle.