Re: [Gnumed-devel] Python menu "About GNUmed" and Help > GNUmed contribu

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Python menu "About GNUmed" and Help > GNUmed contributors
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 18:15:05 +0100

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 11:06:03PM -0800, James Busser wrote:

> I don't think we are (necessarily) implying --- in the Help menu --- that
> help should be pursued from the GNUmed contributors.
Not really, no.

> Would it make sense to unify the acknowledgements in one place, such as the
> "About GNUmed?"
Eventually we should use the standard About dialog which is
much better these days.

> If this is better delayed until later I could suggest the easy short term
> approach being:
>
> 1) move Help > GNUmed contributors to the bottom of this menu, below a
> dotted separator line
The User Manual item is only added to the menu if the Manual
Plugin is loaded. Such adding can only be done to the bottom
of the menu.

The item points to a local copy of the User Manual and only
reverts to accessing the online manual if the local page is
not available.

I would change the menu to this:

#----------------------
Help
 GNUmed wiki                                    (calls browser)
 Online user manual                             (calls browser)
 Debugging ...
 ------------------
 About GNUmed
 GNUmed contributors
 ------------------
 Local user manual                              (if loaded, raises plugin)
#----------------------

(the last item is only added when the Manual plugin is loaded)

> 2) above the dotted separator line insert a new Help menu option "User
> guide" which I suggest points to
>
>       http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/GnumedManual#UserGuideInManual
>
> 3) when there is more time add
>
>       Help > With current plugin
>
> As soon as a suitable wiki page is identified as a target for each plug-in,
> is there a way for the client to choose the URL based on the plugin that is
> currently raised to the front of the screen? Is it possible that the URL
> could be written into each plugin but is it better to for this to be stored
> and maintained somewhere else... a config file or in the backend?
That sounds reasonable.