Re: [Gnumed-devel] minor screen fix request: patient name creation / edi

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] minor screen fix request: patient name creation / editing widget
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:13:27 +0100

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 11:53:44AM -0800, James Busser wrote:

> I expect that it is in the "first name" field that people are meant to
> include middle etc names.
Yes.

There's really only three types of names:

group name

        - tribe
        - family
        - expresses membership

individual name

        - first name
        - middle name
        - distinguishes within "group name" members

assumed name

        - nick
        - warrior name
        - call sign
        - artist name
        - expresses self beyond labelling

It could be argued that both individual and assumed name are
of the same quality. The distinction, however, lies in that
the individual name is meant to be part of the *legal* name
while the assumed name is not.

> Unless we wish to use "Given names" (which can conflict with first ' last
> position depending on the culture) should it instead be
>
>       First name(s)
Yes. Feel free to point out any specific places.

> PS I still have that same picklist wx wonkiness in which the phrasewheel
> values cannot even be seen in the window. When I have time I can try to see
> if this is anywhere acknowledged at wx issues for Mac.
It cannot, directly, as the phrasewheel is a creation of our
own combining several base widgets. I think Sebastian needs
to confirm whether it works for him so I can try to hunt
down the reason.