Re: [Gnumed-devel] problem bootstrapping 0.3

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] problem bootstrapping 0.3
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:05:31 +0200

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:51:40AM +0200, Gour wrote:

> Jerzy> Probably postgresql inherited your locale setting from your
> Jerzy> system, and your system locale is not UTF-8. Try correcting your
> Jerzy> system locale and the locale for the template database.
>
> Hmm, the problem is that my locale IS UTF-8, see:
>
> address@hidden data]# locale
> LC_CTYPE=hr_HR.UTF-8
> and therefore I wonder why it is not picked correctly?

There are several possible reasons for this: Either the
locale wasn't .UTF-8 when you installed PostgreSQL or the
initdb wrapper of your distribution explicitely requested C
locale. Or the locale of the user doing the bootstrap (most
likely "postgres", sometime "root") isn't .UTF-8 (unlike
your personal account).

Now, the solution is to either re-initdb manually or to wait
for the updated server tarball which now does allow C
locale.