Re: [Gnumed-devel] further thinking on list of current medications

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] further thinking on list of current medications
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 12:10:38 +0200

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 12:20:30PM +1100, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

> > can anyone think of a multi-component drug where the
> > components do NOT target the same affliction (episode) ?
> >
> > Say, a combination of Simvastatin and Metformin ...
> >
> > And, no, Paracetamol + Codein/Coffein doesn't count ;-)
>
> there are combination pills on sale here (not like the Brazilian type)
> I can't tell you immediately what they are, but an example would have a
> statin
> and something for blood pressure
I feared as much !

Given your example and Jim's attestation to another aspect I
didn't think of so far:

> - beta-blocker or calcium antagonist used for migraine prophylaxis and
>   hypertension
> - diltiazem or verapamil used for control of atrial fibrillation rate plus
>   angina

prompts me to making the drug to episode link

a) work at the component rather than the "pill" level

b) be a one-to-many link, IOW, a link table rather
   than a direct foreign key

> you can draw a broad enough "affliction" to cover both - "metabolic syndrome"
You can, but not always.

Thanks for your input !