[Gnumed-devel] Re: gnumed-server packages

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: gnumed-server packages
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:51:32 +0200

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 09:58:28PM -0700, James Busser wrote:
> Our wiki topic ServerInstall says:
>
> To get the 'gnumed-server' package, one needs to add the software repository
> 'experimental' to the list of sources.

IMHO the Wiki is outdated.

> Am I correct to think that normally it should be enough for people evaluating
> gnumed to do
>    apt-get -t testing install gnumed-server

Yes.

> Testing as at today, as evaluated using the handy package I learned about
> online
>    apt-show-versions
> and piping the output to grep for the string gnumed-server as follows
>    # apt-show-versions | grep gnumed-server
> yields
>    gnumed-server/testing uptodate 0v10.5-1

You might also like to try

   apt-cache policy gnumed-server

(BTW, it is helpful to track down your apt_pinning settings as well)

> 1) packages that were uploaded into experimental stay there, perhaps until
> someone makes a changelog entry instructing approval that it can move to a
> new target distribution... this can be a required delaying tactic when some
> other package having the same name (like a lower-numbered version of
> gnumed-server) is still sitting in unstable waiting to move into testing
>
> 2) packages that enter the unstable distribution (whether by direct upload or
> by passing from experimental into unstable) spend at least 14 days there for
> evaluation before passing into testing as per a non-maintainer upload (NMU)
> protocol.

Correct except that there is only one chance to go to unstable - by direct
upload.
There is no way to pass from experimental to anywhere else.
And NMU is no protocol.  It just marks those uploads who were not done by the
package maintainer but by somebody else.  This is an exception in case of
burning reasons (and IMHO never happened for gnumed packages).

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de