[Gnumed-devel] Re: Issues with 0.5 detected when trying to package

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Issues with 0.5 detected when trying to package
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 17:38:25 +0200

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 02:52:33PM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Tell you what, from a practical medical point of view we
> should be grateful to those guys offering an excellent tool
> free for use to better patient care. They behave quite
> amenable to helping us as well - upon request they provided
> a naked jar which actually runs on Linux just fine where
> previously we had to run their EXE-wrapped jar using Wine
> (which worked as well).

Sounds good - but poking them from time to time to make really free
code might be interesting as well.

> > So I think I should move all these scripts to
> >
> >     /usr/share/gnumed/bin
> >
> > and patch the wrapper in /usr/bin/gnumed to prepend this to PATH.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> This should work IMO but it *will* reduce the functionality
> a little bit -- users cannot simply call gm-install_* or
> gm-download_* on the command line and get something to
> happen. But, your choice, no problem with me.

You can drastically influence my choice by providing a
manpage (even if very short).  If not - what is the sense of
just droping scripts in /usr/bin?

> Particularly for gm-install_arriba this is rather useless --
> the client does NOT call this script -- the admin is
> expected to, once, or rather whenever a new version of the
> ARRIBA jar is released. This is better placed in
> /usr/local/(s)bin/, actually.

Seems to be a missunderstanding.  A Debian package can't drop
anything in /usr/local.  I wanted you to change the script
in a way to drop its downloaded stuff to /usr/local instead
of /usr/bin.  And here again: Please provide a simple man
page to convince me to move it to /usr/(s)bin.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de