Re: [Gnumed-devel] <bug>: error

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] <bug>: error
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 18:57:07 +0200

> > GNUmed 0.3.9 is very old
>

> I am trying to learn a bit by the browsing of posted error logs. It
> seemed to me that instances of "Error" would point to the problem

I many cases it will but by far not all cases of "Error" are
the problem. Many report error conditions for which GNUmed knows
a workaround - such as using another config file.

> and
> in this case he or she seemed to have a gnumed.conf in their home
> directory?

I didn't notice that to tell the truth.

> Isn't that odd? Do you infer a user idiosyncrasy or was it
> something with 0.3.9?

It is not uncommon to have something like /home/user/.gnumedrc (for
us that would be /home/user/.gnumed.conf which is a tad less typical
naming). We do prefer /home/user/.gnumed/gnumed.conf for reasons
of tidyness. I am not sure whether GNUmed currently still
supports .gnumed.conf in /home/user/

> Also I wondered how you deduce s/he is using Ubuntu ...

By slight of hand ;-)    Well, not quite.

> is it from personal knowledge that Ubuntu shipped 0.3.9

That combined with the fact that this seemed to be a typical
Debian-like system-wide installation (witnessed by the
module installation path).

> did not? I was wondering whether it is any value for the logger to
> query and record the OS that is running (in addition to the GNUmed
> client, which it already does).

It already does but not in 0.3.9.