Re: LaTex was Re: [Gnumed-devel] re Medication List template

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: LaTex was Re: [Gnumed-devel] re Medication List template
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:03:59 +0100

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 12:02:29PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> In looking into the pdflatex command, I came up with some links...

Thanks !

> LaTeX to PDF
>       http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/bibliog/latex/LaTeXtoPDF.html

This is a good technical explanation useful to be linked
from where we go on about PDF generation on the wiki.

> A guide to generate PDF files with all fonts embedded using pdflatex
>       http://do.whileloop.org/soft/tricks/pdflatex-fonts.php

I did a few minutes research into this. Any system not
supporting the base14 fonts (which are the only ones not
embedded by default) is seriously broken. Such systems
surely exist but are hardly relevant at this stage because
the PDF we locally generate is intended for the system it
was generated on only (so far).

However (because of the "so far") the above is also a
valuable resource to be linked from the wiki.

> Word wrap in tables for LaTex
>       (you use a "+" in the column formatting line e.g. ... | ---------+ |  )
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/multimarkdown/browse_thread/thread/484a04ff34397f18#

This only talks about a particular XML to LaTeX converter
which apparently has a "+" option somewhere. It's got
nothing to do with (La)TeX proper -- or at least not with
any table environment I am aware of.

> and, while I am presently using a debian VM on my Mac, I may later like to
> use a Mac natively. I am wondering whether, as before, things like
> texlive-base may need to be added to the all-in-one binary or installed via
> MacPorts. The following links may be extraneous to gnumed:
>
> (On Mac, people trying to use r)
>       you need to identify where your pdflatex is, and add it to your PATH
> variable (eg., in your ~/.profile)
>       https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2007-July/004009.html
>
> (On Mac, people trying to use emacs)
>       [emacs needs] creation of /Users/someusername/.MacOSX/environment.plist
> with particular content:
>
> http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Comp/comp.text.tex/2009-12/msg00193.html

Those are probably usefully linked from the Mac specific pages.