Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Texlive and Gnumed

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Texlive and Gnumed
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 11:07:39 +0100

Am Dienstag 09 März 2010 10:41:32 schrieb Jim Busser:
> On 2010-03-09, at 12:57 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > How hard is it to install
> > GNUmed ?
> >
> > apt-get install gnumed-client
> > apt-get install gnumed-server
>
> insert "take care of postgres configuration" or is none needed for
> localhost dbs?

Yes. You are correct.
This step heavily depends on your operating system. For Debian and Ubuntu you
don't need any change for the pure bootstraping process.

If you actually want to use this you have to add the magic line in
pg_hba.conf.

I fail to see why is always seen as a GNUmed problem. If you want to seriously
use a database server you have to configure it.

If you don't care about security simply set all from 'ident/md5' to 'trust'

If one doesn't want to bother with car keys just remove the lock. Seems
obvious to me.

GNUmed is not your average game which you install and play a few times.

It is an electronic medical record. You invest a few hours up front and you
will use it for years. This discussion often indicates that the 'I don't want
to read anything, drive-by' user needs to be able to try and use GNUmed.

If you get yourselft a house you either have the skill or pay someone to build
it for you.

Sometimes it seems that a lot of internet users believe that real life
principles don't apply for software.

Last but not least a word on distributions. If you buy a Volkswagen engine you
cannot expect it to fit in a Volvo , right ?

If it fits in a Volvo it is because Volvo and VW worked together to make that
happen. Same for GNUmed.

Sebastian