Re: [Gnumed-devel] default workplace in tarballs

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] default workplace in tarballs
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 00:59:16 -0700

On 2010-07-08, at 12:29 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> I guess I need to rack my brain for remembering some
> arguments.

If the strongest argument is to not disturb the (small number of individuals)
who already have some value in their .config file...

- I was thinking we should supply something more than a single plugin to all of
the people who would newly try GNUmed but who risk to wrongly dismiss it out of
annoyance. I am talking about people who may download it from tarball or source
and who might like to get a sense of it without having all the pain of all of
the configuration.

- besides, production instances will have surely made other alterations to
their config and so there is no hope that users can simply let new-version
.config files (as future-shipped with GNUmed) to simply overwrite what they
already had in

        ~/Users/someuser/.gnumed

can they? Any such overwriting would require these user files to have been
already backed up, and partially restored-from, anyway, no?

I do recall a situation where corruption of some kind (in a db record?) made it
impossible for GNUmed to start, and that spawned discussion of having a minimal
failover "pseudo" workplace so that if the workplace specified in a user's
.conf became corrupted in the db, the workplace could be commented-out and
GNUmed in *absence* of a workplace would use its pseudo-workplace.

This did not mean we could not ship a default workplace specification in the
source and tarball .conf files.

> So, no.
>
> I wonder where the above quote comes from - grasshoppers
> have a high resistance to wind, they don't easily bend from
> my observation, let alone like reeds.

"Grasshopper" was the name assigned by buddhist monks to the fictional
character Kwai Chang Caine (played by David Carradine) in the 1972-75 American
television series "Kung Fu".

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5kBqrHphjo&feature=related

-- Jim