Re: address@hidden: Re: [Gnumed-devel] So you want to gain some with GNU

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Gnumed-devel] So you want to gain some with GNUmed ?]
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:08:12 +0200

Am Dienstag 20 Juli 2010, 23:37:27 schrieb Lee Crites, Admin for TBFed:
> On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 23:26 +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > > ----- Forwarded message from Lee Crites <address@hidden> -----

> > How about Vista by VA ?
>
> I have not really looked at it at all, but he has. He goes to our local
> VA hospital, and doesn't really like it as much. I honestly have no clue
> one way or the other.
>
> Is it fairly customizable? Can I add new modules and functions? How
> about new kinds of records to the database?
>
> I did about 10 minutes of checking into it. Found out I could download
> it for free, but didn't even find out if it would run on my linux
> servers and/or what language or DBMS environment it needed.

I have never seen it in action myself. All I know is that it is the only
somewhat free hospital grade solution out there. You  need to do a lot of
research on it (there is tons of information out there). You can write your
own modules but it takes a considerable learning curve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VistA

Writing modules for GNUmed could be easier but if you really think of
installing any FOSS EMR in a hospital setting you should look out for support
contracts in case a bug crops up and you need a fix now. You can fix all bugs
more or less easily but it takes time and management will kill you if the
system is down for more then 24 hours I would assume.

Our statement is GNUmed might have the potential to somwhow fit into a
hospital and could be extended to cater for it (it is Open Source) but we
won't say it was designed for it.

You can take a SUV on the racing track and will get you to the finish line.
but it was not designed to be a race car. That does not mean it cannot be
better then the race cars out there :-)

Sebastian