Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed > Master data > Manage lists

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed > Master data > Manage lists
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 15:47:04 -0800

On 2010-11-09, at 3:35 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Sure, no problem. But I'm thinking that alpha-sorting only makes sense/is
> helpful if there's a pre-conceivable idea of what the items might actually
> be named such that one may conceptualize a search strategy ?
>
> I've been trying to sorta order by relatedness such that "clusters" of
> related things sit together. I been thinkin of inserting dummy
> "--------------"
> items between groups ?

The name does not as much need to be pre-concevied when it would follow what is
already on the other screen (Brands, Substances). Provided these names are
stable and not changing all the time, it is not so much a matter of having to
pre-conceive them as it is a matter of (once you know the name) to find it in
the list.

I find it harder to be look in the middle of a vertical list for Brand (which
would be normally near the top) and Substances (which would normally near the
bottom).

Also, visual scanning downward is jarring when you have all these words one
below the other that carry neither alpha nor non-alpha relationship to each
other (except within a cluster).

-- jim