[Gnumed-devel] Rethinking Medications… button grouping

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Rethinking Medications… button grouping
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 16:15:33 -0800

I have been noticing and thinking several things...

Buttons…

We should help users to be aware, through grouping and dimming, those buttons
that depend on anything (like a list item) to be in focus. Maybe it is too
difficult in 0.8-0.9 with wxWidgets to achieve contextual "dimming" but can we
at least decide if grouping should be a consistent approach?

I was thinking, for example, that:

"Add" could be by itself, positioned among a "left cluster" -- perhaps for now
by itself.

Buttons that depend on a selection could and IMHO should be clustered "at
centre" if that is acceptable.

"Cancel" depends on no selection and could be presented at right.

This leaves any buttons that would not depend on a selection, such as "Info"
and "ADR"
- if these are to be "general" then I propose they should be alongside the
"Add" button
- if intended to be list selection-specific, suggest they be included in the
middle group.

-- Jim