Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed's complex interface

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed's complex interface
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 14:42:59 +0100

On Saturday 12 February 2011 14:28:03 Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> On Saturday 12 February 2011 13:06:59 you wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I would request you to have a look at software softamed available from
> > www.softamed.com
> > it has major limitation as it is not 'network ready" but I have not
> > seen such a easier installation/interface. Moreover it also allows
> > autocomplete and creating templates for prescription.
>
> Ok. I am looking at softamed now.
>
> One general remark. A user interface is subject to personal taste. Like in
> a care you either like the appearance or you don't.
>
> GNUmed is designed in a way that you can develop your very own appearance
> and interface and still use GNUmed below that.
>
> So it would be possible for a doctor to contract a professional to develop
> a user interface that looks similar to the one from softamed and still use
> the GNUmed middle layer and database to ensure data integrity and safety.

Following up on the issue of GNUmed's user interface.

In some countries the health system requires overly complex user interfaces
and smart EMR and in some countries it seems to be possible to build you own
EMR on OpenOffice and a Spreadsheet program.

I wonder if anyone feels that a special (reduced) version of GNUmed  would
make sense.

This version would
a) be non-network capable and therefore ship its own local (not systemwide)
Postgresql (hidden from the user
b) get rid of server profiles in the login dialog (just one local server)
c) be Windows-only as non-systemwide installations of e.g. Postgresql on Linux
and Mac is way too much work
d) have a local (non system wide) installation (hidden from the user) of Latex
and pre-configured batch file for printing

I do not have the time to produce and maintain this but anyone wanting to do
this can speak up.

It would be a one-time effort of 20-40hours (automate the changes) and another
2 hour effort for every GNUmed update.

Best regards,
Sebastian