Re: [Gnumed-devel] Encounter types suggested additions

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Encounter types suggested additions
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 14:59:30 -0700

On 2011-05-10, at 1:10 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> I have added:
>
> select i18n.upd_tx('de_DE', 'phone w/ patient', 'Telefonat mit Patient');
> select i18n.upd_tx('de_DE', 'phone w/ provider', 'Telefonat mit
> Arzt/Behandler');
> select i18n.upd_tx('de_DE', 'phone w/ caregiver', 'Telefonat mit
> Pflegeperson');
>
> Karsten

In know that the expression "in surgery" may be so well-estaboished in some
people's minds to be reluctant to change it, however it may owe its origins to
when it was previously the barber who performed surgery (the barber-surgeon)
and AFAIK it is only in commonwealth countries (UK, AU, NZ) that a place of
medical practice outside of a hospital is called "a surgery".

In North America the art of medicine is also known as the "practice" of
medicine and the organizational unit is considered a "medical practice" so I
wondered whether, recognizing the i18n target of GNUmed, the default name could
better be

        in praxis

which can then be localized to

        in surgery