[Gnumed-devel] Consumable substances / medications was Re: GNUmed 0.9.4

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Consumable substances / medications was Re: GNUmed 0.9.4 released
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 15:37:36 -0700

On 2011-05-04, at 7:43 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Note that this release, as usual, does NOT require a
> database upgrade. However, courtesy of vbanait from India
> we now offer an English list of consumable substances.

This is a great start. I only just wondered about alternatives and have these
questions:

1) when the source file is not in SQL (for example if it is csv) what is the
easiest way to script series of values into a form like

        v15-ref-consumable_substance-data-vbanait.sql

2) when country data is available (the way that it is for Canada) is there any
reason not to feed GNUmed everything that it knows how to use?

consumable substances:

        description
        amount
        unit
        preparation
        inn (where available)

        Comments re the INN:

        INN may not be unique to any one description when it is less than 7
characters
        INN, when unique to a description, will exist in replicate across
multiple amounts and preparations
        INN for a single substance description may be different when that
substance
                is taken as part of a brand that provides a combo

brand substances

-- Jim