Re: [Gnumed-devel] Database connection dialog

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Database connection dialog
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 13:54:45 -0700

On 2011-05-21, at 1:07 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> The dot-version isn't
> really that well-defined, either. It's more of a release artefact.
>
> Also, while it is always recommended to use the latest dot-version
> of the major version needed by the client it is by no means mandatory.
>
> Sometimes minor versions are not any different from each other either.

What I only just realized (or maybe better appreciated) is that the dot version
need not mean that there was meaningful or even ANY change in the schema,
because the server release numbering (including dot versions) are better
understood to be a "package".

In this case, there was a bug fix or improvement to a backup script.

I expect a dot release could include a schema minor change provided that it is
clear that continued use of a lower version client (within same database-major
version) will cause no problem and that a newer client will can be expected to
run without new problems if run against a lower dot database version. Anything
more would result in a major db version increment which the lower-pointed
clients will not be able to access.

-- Jim