Re: [Gnumed-devel] Improvement to Measurements plugin

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Improvement to Measurements plugin
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 22:00:32 +0200

On Sat, Aug 06, 2011 at 12:31:37PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> any GUI benefits maximally when users need not go poking
> around inside tooltips and menus to find what they need to
> understand or to access.

Yep. I guess a larger team would make faster and better progress.

> Therefore improved tooltips, while
> a help, are not  a substitute for better screen objects…

They fit well, however, the limitation of a small team with
a desire to maximize the possible output.

> … but maybe part of what I am having trouble with is a
> limitation in what we so far know how to provide under
> wxWidgets. Do we (Karsten, Sebastian, others) know how to
> supply a popup object which, on MouseDown, opens to display
> values and to allow one to be selected and which, onMouseUp,
> becomes the value that is refreshed / displayed in the GUI?

I wouldn't know off-hand how to do that. I could certainly
find out. I'd prefer to be working on things relevant to
wrapping up the next release, though.

OTOH, I don't actually understand whereat you would think
such an object is desirable. This sort of screen object does
not exactly evoke any images of many uses that I can
remember ?  I fail to understand the superiority of what you
describe over a standard button+popup menu ?

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de