Re: [Gnumed-devel] Can we have a refresh of Attach documents (Episodes)

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Can we have a refresh of Attach documents (Episodes) when a problem was added to EMR
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 22:24:34 +0000

On 2011-12-08, at 2:42 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> There's no need to be upset about such things.

I thought I would indulge myself in a very very occasional nearly-rant
(or at least, to show intensity of feeling) :-)

> Nope. It's sufficient to "invent" an episode. And be it just
> "documents on unsolicited external care".
> A hook script can create such an episode without any
> user intervention.

> I agree with your desire to ease the workflow though -
> which is why I suggested that a plugin could be written to
> hide the pseudo-episode stuff.
>
> ... I have recently had the joy to assist a user in repairing...
>
> It was only due to the stringent data consistency...

I understand. It is good to have the above pointed out.

As far as improving the workflow, see screenshot.

Can we re-position first those items the staff can complete on our behalf?

To relabel 'Date of creation' to 'Date document created' would be clearer as to the intent.

The real value of the Comment is in being able to be shown (in the GUI listing) more than just the document 'type', for example

        the name of the doctor authoring the report, and/or
        the name of the facility from which the e.g. discharge summary had been prepared

which is why a better label would be 'Additional identifiers' which invites the staff to help, as opposed to (perhaps) clinical comment although nothing prevents the clinician to input such a comment. Even so, if there is clinically useful commenting to be made perhaps that would better be comment-on in clinical narrative and perhaps the function of this 'Comment' field really does best serve to help to identify this document from among others. Therefore even though -- with apologies -- a change would not doubt need a tweak to translations, is think this is an improvement.

Here is the 'kicker': what can we do about the 'Associate to episode' ?

Would it be acceptable to default to '?' and, if this value is accepted by the user (who can easily enough replace it with an actual value if a suitable one exists) then an unattributed episode of name '?' can be created if it did not already exist?

-- Jim