[Gnumed-devel] Improving the login dialog

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Improving the login dialog
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 01:54:33 +0000

I installed Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot into a VM and then installed GNUmed. The
default --- after updating Ubuntu --- is GNUmed client 0.9.9.

I can understand how users may be surprised, after installing a program, to
discover that they have no way to get into it. Thoughts:

1. I would like to improve the package description which I think Andreas
previously suggested that any changes would better be submitted in a patch. If
I were to (attempt to) create and supply one, would the method at the next URL
suffice:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_(Unix)#Usage_examples

        (?)

2. Is there any objection that the package installation would in future make
reference to

        any-doc

        ?

3. What determines the default (public db vs local) that populates the "Log
into" field? Can we make it the public db? Presently it defaults to the local
db (which typically does not exist).

4. Should we comment-out local databases in the downloadable clients? Surely if
a user figures out enough to install a local database, they can uncomment the
local database lines in the supplied config file. If they already have a
production config in their .gnumed directory it wouldn't be overwritten.

5. In support of (4) what about adding in GNUmed > Preferences an item > config
file or if this risks naive users too easily to corrupt their file (though
easily remedied together with the expectation that actual staff would not be
reckless) could we add, to Tools, a simple text file opener?

6. Suggest to replace (using what is between the === ) the text which the login
window Help button currently displays (which follows the ===).

7. If possible, the proposed URLs would be 'live' (able to launch a browser
window).

Welcome to the installed GNUmed client. Shown are the current "Workplace" (and
version).

You may select to log into a publicdb with username and password {any-doc,
any-doc}.
Any other (or local) database must first be separately installed before you can
log in.

        For assistance on using GNUmed please consult the wiki
                http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/GnumedManual

        and to install a local db (which is a separate step) see
                http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/GmManualServerInstall

        For more help than the above, please contact:
                GNUmed Development List <address@hidden>

    GNUmed main login screen

    USER:
     name of the GNUmed user
    PASSWORD
     password for this user

    button OK:
     proceed with login
    button OPTIONS:
     set advanced options
    button CANCEL:
     abort login and quit GNUmed client
    button HELP:
     this help screen

    For assistance on using GNUmed please contact:
     GNUmed Development List <address@hidden>

-- Jim