Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: Usage of GNU-med for TCM

From: John Jaarsveld
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: Usage of GNU-med for TCM
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:16:50 +0100

> I think the latin name would walk a long way ... but (in my limited
> knowledge beware) the CHINESE form of the plant is also something of a
> must have (at least for the California LAc tests) if we will try to
> form a comprehensive "TMC module"

Absolutely. Here in The Netherlands the Chinese names are used by
practitioners and in the schools. I'm aware of one person who has
started such a database (but not peer reviewed):
http://www.chinesekruiden.com/database.html
There is Chinese name (pinyin), Latin name, and some indications. Alas,
I contacted her 2 years ago, and she did not agree to having the
information itself included into GNUmed, although she had no problems if
people link to her database. I think that *technically* there is no
copyright on the information (as it is not an "original creation"), and
neither does the database protection law apply (as it is not her "core
business" to create this database), but I don't think it would be polite
or proper to copy the whole database without her consent. However, she
generally is a nice person, and could be contacted with a proposal to
expand it here: http://www.chinesekruiden.com/contact.html

In 2010 I contacted Brady Miller (http://www.bradymd.com/appliance/) who
uses OpenEMR in a Chinese Medicine practice about integration with a
herbal database, but he hadn't got around into creating it at the time.

regrads,
John