Re: [Gnumed-devel] The future of patient care computing?

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] The future of patient care computing?
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 19:45:56 +0200

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 07:29:01PM +0200, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

> > 2) how a doctor using GNUmed may wish GNUmed to interact with an external
> > system in which the patient may be managing their own health information.
> >

> A readily available choice would be IndivoX
> http://indivohealth.org/
>
> This is one-way however. No information to be pulled from a PHR.

Conceptually I wouldn't go so far. I don't have a problem
with patients entering their daily high-scores re INR or
Glucose or pain VAS or allergy symptoms

(whether I care is another matter ;-)

However, that would happen via a controlled, indirect
channel into the medical record.

> This is one way but there are numerous. While I have thought about this for a
> long time I have yet to understand the benefit of it.

In this there isn't much to think about for us. Part of the
world population will be a Quantified Self eventually. There
will be a desire (not necessarily a need) to "browse the
current written state of health". It may amount to
salutogenesis by providing a feeling of being empowered and
an understanding of self-responsibility by "being in charge"
and "taking control". Powerful factors in getting and
staying well. Far more relevant (to MOST patients) than
whether to administer bisoprolol or metoprolol.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de