Re: conversation submodule questions

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: conversation submodule questions
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 10:16:19 +0200

> On 26. Oct 2019, at 10:11, ng0 <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Schanzenbach, Martin transcribed 1.8K bytes:
>> Hi,
>>
>> unfortunately I would have to look into this first myself but a general
>> remark:
>>
>> Why are we conditionally building subsystems anyway? Shouldn't we simply
>> have a
>> set of subsystem which are always built and then have switches to dis/enable
>> others?
>> Then, if a dependency is missing, configure should simply error.
>
> This is the case right now, if you look into src/Makefile.am. There's a set of
> "base" submodules which are build unconditionally,
> and then we have a couple of conditional submodules

Really? I am personally responsible for making all of the REST stuff
conditional, i.e. it gets
built of you have the depencies, otherwise not. My proposal would be to change
this into:

1. Not build REST by default
2. Add an --enable-rest switch to build it
3. Make configure fail if dependencies are not met

And do the same to conversation, auction, consensus et al. (maybe even fs).
That way, we can even get rid of --enable-experimental. Which is ill defined
anyway.
(Who knows what is build with that switch)

BR