Interested in helping out

From: William Liquorice
Subject: Interested in helping out
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 15:27:07 +0100

Hello,

I'm a physics student at Durham University who has been following GNUnet for about a year now. If someone is willing to point me in the right direction, then I am more than willing to contribute to the project in some way.

I have plenty of experience with Python, as a hobby and a little in the large, if that is applicable anywhere, and I'm somewhat familiar with writing static web pages. I wouldn't trust myself to work on the C codebase itself, as I don't have much experience with systems programming beyond some very simple projects in C++ and Rust, and have no idea about writing safe C.

Helping out with GNUnet, in some way, seems like a good way for me to learn about contributing a free software project, while also contributing to society at large. Also, I have might have something that I can contribute already.

A few months ago I thought that trying to re-implement bits of GNUnet would be an interesting non-trivial Rust project. The effort fell through, learning physics and how to use Rust and C's FFIs proved to be impossible to do at the same time.

As part of that, I had a go at picking the big (and rather overwhelming) process architecture diagram apart into a few smaller pieces. I'm happy to share some SVGs of these smaller diagrams, as they might aid in understanding the different subsystems of GNUnet.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help with.

Thanks,
        William