Wayland backend status update

From: Riccardo Canalicchio
Subject: Wayland backend status update
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 14:42:35 +0100

hello,
an update on the wayland backend work:
there are 2 PRs open that are a cleanup of the existing work and as well they add some functionalities:

+ https://github.com/gnustep/libs-back/pull/34
the work on the shared memory surface makes the logic more readable, includes a memory leak fix as well should open the door for adding EGL surfaces later for direct rendering on screen

+ https://github.com/gnustep/libs-back/pull/35
The cursor work has been quite complicated and might require some help in testing if it is behaving as expected. It is now possible to move and resize windows, keyboard modifiers are passed with the cursor events etc...

What's next?

I am thinking of working on these although I am open for suggestions:
+ enable direct gl rendering with egl surfaces (including cairo-egl)
+ clipboard and drag/drop support,

I am currently checking how wayland clipboard works:
https://emersion.fr/blog/2020/wayland-clipboard-drag-and-drop/
It doesn't look easy to integrate NSPasteboard, any input would be much appreciated.

If anyone would like to test the PRs, any wayland compositor would be good, i have been testing on weston and gnome-shell.
The only note is that the backend when available uses the protocol wlr-layer that enables positioning of elements on the desktop (this is used for the menu windows to stick it to the top of the screen). When this protocol is not available there is fallback to the standard window protocol that then positions the menu randomly on the screen.

Best,
Riccardo