gnustep-webmasters

Other observations on www.gnustep.org

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Other observations on www.gnustep.org
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:38:22 +0100

I just looked for a short time at the www.gnustep.org site
and here are my observations.  I think the website looks
very good and the following is not meant as any criticism.

So take the following as they are, just a bunch of observations
and feel free to ignore them reject them or do something with them.

(1) The pages show fine when I browse them online, however if I browse
     a copy made with wget the column with all the links shows up
     below the main text instead of to the right of the main text.

(2) I think link "Frameworks" under the "Resources" heading is
    unfortunately named.  It points to a section in the
    "Documentation" page.  I would expect it to point to a list
    of frameworks, with a short description.
    (However, I am perhaps influenced by the recent discusion
    on the gnustep mailing lists.)

(3) In the "Documentation" page, the last section is named
    "GNUstep Developers".  This could perhaps be interpreted
    as "documentation for developers using GNUstep" instead
    of the intended "Developers of GNUstep".
    (Think about C++-Developers, I picture a programmer
    programming in the C++ langauge, NOT a programmer of a
    C++ compiler.)

(4) The "GNUstep, OpenStep and Objective-C Information" page
    under the "More" section I find the layout not very clear
    It seems to be
    "short line of text, including link"
    "slightly longer line of text, describing the conent"
    and this repeated a lot.  But it is not very clear, you
    have to read very carefully to notice this.

(5) I do not like the format of the FAQ.
    Every section (which are generally speaking very short)
    is followed by a line
    [ < ] [ > ] [ << ] [ Up ] [ >> ]  [Top][Contents][Index][ ? ]
    Which I find distracting.  I think it looks a lot better
    without these lines and I do not think they add a lot.

(6) Also, the FAQ misses the nice righthand side links and the
    top bar.

(7) In the "Progress Overview" page on the last line of the
    first paragraph there is link in the text:

    "Be sure to check here for _more_ _news_"

    - missing period?
    - It is an external link to the www.gnustep.us site.

    I would not expect such an external link here, more
    in the related links section.

Wim Oudshoorn.

P.S.:  I am not reading any gnustep + wwww related mailing
       lists, so if you want more information or keep
       me informed, you need to reply/CC to this
       e-mail address.