gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

From: Terje Mathisen
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 15:35:46 +0200

Ed W wrote:
On 06/05/2012 22:56, Terje Mathisen wrote:
BTW, I just picked up a NetGear 3800 for the BufferBloat firmware, I
intend to point that router at the local S1, which should result in
better timing than a PPS over USB solution.

Big problem... If you look on the chrony mailing list you can find a
post plotting the divergence of worldwide stratum 1 clocks. I'm afraid
the answer is that stratum 1 is not a definition of accuracy, just an
observation on the clock source. In particular many have fixed offsets,
poor stability, synced to radio clocks rather than GPS, etc.

You misunderstood my post.:-(

The S1 is my personal, at-home, FreeBSD+Garmin18 ntpd server.

I also have backup Linux+SURE and FreeBSD+Oncore UT+ servers, as well as a bunch of PPS-capable bare GSP boards.

I.e. my local LAN has multiple ~us level reference servers.

I have been part of the ntp-hackers mailing list for 10-15 years, I used to host the widows binaries of the ntpd reference code.

Terje

--
- <address@hidden>