gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

From: tz
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 14:37:48 -0400

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Hal Murray <address@hidden> wrote:

address@hidden said:
> That's news to us.  What GPS chip is in your devices?  If it's  Venus 6
> that's interesting - suggests they don't have the timing  wobble that SiRF
> chips do.

The timing wobble on data from the serial port is just a firmware
quirk/bug/feature.  Take your pick.

The wobble on the Venus is 60nS because the clock on the Venus is 16.667Mhz

I have multiple Skytraq chips and using a scope all the PPS rising edges will be aligned to less than 100nS.   It may be better but I don't have a super scope and that is pushing the bandwidth.

But for 40 Euros there's http://shop.8devices.com/carambola-bundle with TWO hardware UARTS port and GPIOs - wireless and ethernet and openwrt.