gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Feature freeze for 3.6 release

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Feature freeze for 3.6 release
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 11:48:58 -0400 (EDT)

GPSD now has zero detected defects under Coverity.  Coverity found 13
minor defects on this pass, mostly handle leaks and uninitialized
variables on unusual code paths but including three static buffer
overruns, one in the NTRIP code and two in the rate-change and
speed-change methods of the UBX driver.

An encouraging way to look at this is that since our first Coverity scan
in 2007 we've introduced fewer than three new detectible defects *per
year*. Still, 13 defects is a lot by our usual standards.

Because of this, and the timing of an upcoming Debian freeze, and the
next release of CeroWrt, I want to roll out a snap 3.6 release in the
near future. I don't anticipate any issues with this, as other than
the NMEA2000 support going in what's been going on since 3.5
is minimal bug fixes and cleanup for Coverity and other static analyzers.

Gary, please test with Garmins and PPS and let me know what our status
there is.  (I can check PPS myself now but two checks on the problem
children are better than one.)  All our tests are passing and all of
our fault scanners report zero defects except that we still have false
positives under scan-build; I'll do what I can to reduce those.

I'm calling feature freeze on everything but the NMEA2000 driver,
which is still in beta; we won't be able to really verify that,
anyway, until the author gets his regression tests in place - which
isn't likely to be this release.

The targeted release date will be 20 May.

"I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing, and as
necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."
        -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787