gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] 3.10 release objectives

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] 3.10 release objectives
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 14:46:57 -0700

Yo Eric!

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 16:44:04 -0400 (EDT)
address@hidden (Eric S. Raymond) wrote:

> All my pending issues and feature-list things I wanted for 3.10
> are resolved.

I can see gpsd lock on to the GPS type moch faster now.

I still see that PPS is still randomly failing at startup.  That was not
in 3.9 needs to be fixed in 3.10.

And, probably related, the PPS thread is now usually dropping root
permissions before opening /dev/pps0, so kernel PPS is now broken.
Sometimes the PPS thread does manage to open /dev/pps0, but when it reads
pps0 it later it gets no data and PPS fails.

Given the longstanding bug that PPS can only be started when ggpsd
starts the solution to all three problems may be just to not drop root
on the PPS thread.

> Our next step is to live-test the problem-children (USB Garmin and
> serial PPS).

I'll get to that by the weekend.

> Gary Miller: please decide and say whether you have a reasonable
> chance of being able to do libusb integration within the next week
> (addressing our only current tracker bug).  If not, we'll let that fix
> slide to 3.11.

If someone can tell me how to pass a device (/dev/ttySUB0) to libusb
and get back the USB vendorID and productID it will be easy to fix.

I've not had a lot of luck learning the libusb functions.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588