gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd processor load

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd processor load
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 17:45:41 -0700

Yo Chris!

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 17:21:47 -0700
Chris Kuethe <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I baffled how they can manage without TIOCMIWAIT.  How can you
> > write any sort of low level serial client without it?  BSD has to
> > have some way to wake on control changes...
> >

> Not in the way pps needs.

I looked at your links.  Nothing pops out.

> > Maybe, but it all needs KPPS to work to get any sort of time.  And
> > if KPPS is working we just need to wake up the thread a few times a
> > second and check if KPPS has anything for us.
> >

> And the interface we're using on linux doesn't exist on bsd.

Well, it does on FreeBSD:
http://docs.freebsd.org/doc/4.5-RELEASE/usr/share/doc/ntp/ldisc.htm

    " The entire PPS interface functionality is currently provided by
    inline code in the timepps.h header files implemented for SunOS,
    Solaris, FreeBSD, Linux and Tru64. "

Why would freebsd support RFC 2783 and openbsd not?

BSD also support TIOCDCDTIMESTAMP, which might be a bitch to use...

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588