gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Line timeout

From: Stefan Roels
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Line timeout
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 16:37:53 +0100

Hi All,

I am experiencing some stability problems with my AIS receiver
connection. I have a digital yacht AIS receiver connected via USB on my
Raspberry Pi, receive data with gpsd and I use a gps2udp to send the
data to aishub.net.

For some reason my ttyUSB0 device stops delivering data quite often
(sometimes multiple times on a day, sometimes it keeps running for more
than a day). This obviously is not a problem with GPSD itself, but gpsd
might solve my immediate problem: the feed to aishub.net.

The gps2usb program will reconnect every now and again when the usb
connection is dead because of a timeout in gps2usb.

Would it be possible to make gpsd reconnect files in a similar fashion
when there is no data? If gpsd would close the file descriptor and
reopen it, the usb connection will probably work again (as restarting
gpsd does the trick now).

Is this something that would be easy to add to gpsd?

Regards,
Stefan Roels