gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Minimum Python Version

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Minimum Python Version
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 18:54:01 -0500

Fred Wright <address@hidden>:
> One of the issues I ran across in getting 3.16 to work on the Mac is that
> several Python programs changed the shebang lines to specify "python2", in
> order to defend against Python3 as a default.  But OSX has no "python2" by
> default; it can be set up manually or via the MacPorts python2_select
> port, but without that all programs specifying "python2" fail.

Please set that up, and ship us a doc patch for INSTALL explaining
how this needs to be done for the Mac.  I do intend to move us to 3.x,
but there is enough Python code that this can't be done quickly.

> The Python version specification in build.txt is "Python 2.x, x >= 6", but
> strictly speaking, that's a *build* requirement, not a *run* requirement.
> I wasn't able to find any user-level "system requirements" documentation
> giving a minimum Python version for end users to run the Python programs.

The intention is to require 2.6 for runtime.  That is pretty safe at this point;
even LTS Centos has it, I believe.