gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Need p/d help with gpsd and or gps HW - no response after

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Need p/d help with gpsd and or gps HW - no response after gps polling
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 15:39:40 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 19:38:57 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I informed user that 2 programs can not access the same serial port
> > at the same time.
>
> Well, actually, the problem isn't that it doesn't work; it's that it
> "works" but poorly. :-)

That depends on the driver.  I find it works perfectly well on some
USB drivers.  Both clients get all the data.

I was thinking the O_EXCL parameter to open() migh fix this, but I
see it is only allowed with O_CREAT.

Is there an easy, mostly portable, way to open the port exclusively?

I'd rather not be ching the file permissions.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588