gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Additional SV flags?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Additional SV flags?
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 13:27:14 -0700

Yo A.S.!

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 15:14:02 -0400
"A.S." <address@hidden> wrote:

> Looking into, at least the U-Blox binary protocol, there are some
> additional flags/details set in the UBX-NAV-SVINFO message that aren't
> making it through GPSd.

Once you start looking you will find many things that different GPS
output that gpsd throws away.

> In particular, I'm looking at the "flags" field, of which bits 2 and 3
> would be "nice to have" for the Android HAL, as they correspond
> directly to the HAS_EPHEMERIS_DATA and HAS_ALMANAC_DATA bits of
> GnssSvFlags.
> https://source.android.com/reference/hidl/android/hardware/gnss/1.0/IGnssCallback#gnsssvflags

Why would you care?  If the GPS is outputting good time (2D fix), then
it has the Ephemeris already.  Pretty much one directly follows the other.

> Some location software on Android displays the value of these flags in
> order to give the user an idea about where it is in the process of
> getting a location fix. For example;
> https://github.com/barbeau/gpstest -- displays flags A, E, U for
> Almanac, Ephemeris, and Used.

Since a u-blox 8 goes from cold start to a fix in under about two
minutes, the useful time of that information is short.

The newest GPS, like the u-blox 9, do not even bother to acquire the
Almanac anymore, they go direct to the Ephemeris since they have so many
receive channels.  On the 9 that takes about 6 seconds.

NMEA never bothered to report that data.

The "used" flag for each sat is all over the place.  gpsd just uses the
used flag from the skyview sentences.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588