gpsd-dev

Re: gpsd g10de777bb vs Jackson Labs Micro JLT

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: gpsd g10de777bb vs Jackson Labs Micro JLT
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 08:04:13 -0400

"Daniel O'Connor" <darius@dons.net.au> writes:

> I don't have the spec either but FWIW the ublox docs talk about such
> numbers if it's in a particular mode.

Two comments on NMEA specs:

  They are not secret, merely copyrighted, so they are available in the
  open standards sense, just not in practice accesible to people without
  a lot of spare money.   It would be useful if someone on the list has
  access to it perhaps via a university or corporate library who could
  comment on what it says.

  I find that the u-blox F9P spec gives information on what that
  receiver outputs, including talking about varying NMEA versions.  So
  it seems also like an NMEA spec, in a not-100%-reliable sort of way.

>> You may wish to report to JL their non-standard message construction.

My impression from the time-nuts list is that Jackon Labs is an outfit
that aims to do things right, and that it's a company run by engineers.
So writing to them and saying your are having this issue and asking
about it seems entirely reasonable and likely to be met with a
reasonable response.

My impression at the moment is that there are micro versions of NMEA
slightly different as the world struggles to move from 2 constellations
(GPS/GLONASS + SBAS) to more.   The F9P section on this seems very
useful.