gpsd-dev

Re: gpsd Reliable and resilient tcp feed

From: Nick Taylor
Subject: Re: gpsd Reliable and resilient tcp feed
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 19:03:40 +0100

Hi

Sorry to top post here but I'm sending from my phone...

Our requirement to use tcp feed is driven by the fact that this is a truck mounted solution.

The trucks are already fitted with various hardware including gps and the clients prefer not to add additional antenna to feed our add on system.

Their system is capable of providing an nmea feed over tcp which is what we are trying to use for these particular clients.

It basically works quite well but as you can understand it's quite an unpredictable environment and we experience loss of tcp connection and thus gps.

We still have option of adding some kind of gps watchdog to reconnect but having this built into gpsd itself would be far cleaner.

We have made some progress with improving reliability but it's a complex beast and I'm sure that a gpsd guru could solve much easier.

Any takers for a contract to help us out?

Thanks and regards

Nick