gpsd-dev

Re: ✘NMEA2000 and issue #176

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘NMEA2000 and issue #176
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 12:33:07 -0800

Yo Reinhard!

On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 12:27:27 +0100
Reinhard Arlt <reinhard.arlt@t-online.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 12/17/21 3:12 AM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > Yo Paul!
> >
> > Replying to my own message.
> >
> >> Next problem:
> >>
> >> # tests/test_nmea2000
> >> test/nmea2000/logfile_20140914_365495765_can.log
> >> tests/test_nmea2000: line 93: tests/gpsd: No such file or
> >> directory tests/test_nmea2000: line 97: tests/gpspipe: No such
> >> file or directory
>
> Yes, the calculation of GPSD_HOME may be wrong, i do not understand
> it today. Maybe test_nmea2000 reside in the gpsd home directory once.

For that, and other reasons, I'm thinking of rewriting it in python.
That way the dealsy can be less than 1 second, so it will not take
so long to run.

> > Is the :17 a device address of some sort?  Shouldn't it always be
> > there? Would that be the way to tell two GPS on the bus apart?
>

> As the gpsd user do not know the device id's on startup, i chose the
> name from the command line for the first device, and open the other
> devices with the appended address, an other solution would be to not
> using the intern structures for the device with the name from the
> commandline at all.

Does this mean that the first device would be random?  Depending on
what device was heard first?  Then the user still does not know
what path=/dev/vcon0 stands for.

Prolly needs the subaddress seomwhere in the JSON, even if not in the
path.  Is there other identifying info that is readily available, and
would be useful for the user?

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588