gpsd-dev

Re: [RFC] get gpsd to work with gnss-share

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [RFC] get gpsd to work with gnss-share
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 14:00:48 -0800

Yo Pavel!

On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 22:21:20 +0100
Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:

> > I can't speak to the PinePhone, but my tests have never shown an
> > advantage to A-GPS on a modern multi-constellation receiver.
>
> That's weird. Theoretical cold start is 40seconds w/o A-GPS,

Theoretical?  u-blox claims 1 second on the M8N.

> with
> A-GPS it should take lock in few seconds. Anyway, I'm trying to get
> gpsd working with gnss-share/geoclue, not solve A-GPS.

How is "few" better than '1'?

> > No answer?
>
> Clayton knows this and he answered that IIRC.

Not to my satisfaction, but getting there.

> > > Should I gather longer logs?
> >
> > Not if they are corrupted like that.  Longer is not much better,
> > varied is much better.  Like startup -> signal lock -> signal loss
> > -> signal lock.
>
> Ok, I'll try to gather them. But note that it is going to be PinePhone
> and Librem 5 support, and what I'm trying to accomplish at the moment
> is gnss-share support :-).

I appreciate our goals and problem spaces are differewnt.  With a tiny
bit over overlap.  Send what you can and want to bother with.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588