gpsd-users

Re: Recommend a USB gps for Rpi

From: TarotApprentice
Subject: Re: Recommend a USB gps for Rpi
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 00:54:51 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks Gary. It returned:

UBX-MON-VER:
  swVersion 2.01 (75331)
  hwVersion 00080000
  extension PROTVER 15.00
  extension GPS;SBAS;GLO;BDS;QZSS

MarkJ

On Sunday, 11 October 2020, 11:50:32 am AEDT, Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com>
wrote:

Yo TarotApprentice!

On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 00:44:13 +0000 (UTC)
TarotApprentice <tarotapprentice@yahoo.com> wrote:

> According to cgps its "seen 30/used 18" so I think its got a pretty
> good skyview and found a fair few satellites.

Yup.

> It could be a fake as it bought it almost a year ago off fleabay. Do
> these things output an identification string when first powered on
> and could we trust it anyway?

Run this while gpsd is running:
        ubxtool -p MON-VER

You will see a bunch of junk, the MON-VER part is the important part:

UBX-MON-VER:
  swVersion ROM CORE 3.01 (107888)
  hwVersion 00080000
  extension FWVER=SPG 3.01
  extension PROTVER=18.00
  extension GPS;GLO;GAL;BDS
  extension SBAS;IMES;QZSS

The above show a plain NEO-M8N that has no flash.

RGDS
GARY
    gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588